Welcome Friends and Neighbors
Margarita Proud is a non-profit community organization that represents a diverse group of San Luis Obispo county residents committed to the future livability, rural quality, and safety in and around Santa Margarita, California.
We advocate and promote:
- Adhering to the intentions and policies existing within SLO County's Comprehensive General Plan, Land Use Element (LUE), and Land Use Ordinance (LUO).
- Creating community awareness of land-use policies, the planning process, and the decision-making process through education.
- Meaningful public participation in local decision making.
- Transparency in the process and unobstructed access to public information.
- Responsible stewardship of the Salinas River watershed.
- Safety and aesthetics along Scenic Highway 58.
- The legal rights of private property owners.
- Responsible use of our natural resources.
- Wise use of our water resources that maintain safe and sufficient quality and quantity in the future.
- Responsible planning principles that result in economic and aesthetic well-being for the entire community.
We believe the unique character and beauty of the Santa Margarita area make it worthy of the effort and thoughtful planning necessary to help shape a future that includes preserving our rural character and quality of life.
OUR CURRENT FOCUS
is on an industrial scale Gravel Quarry and Asphalt and Concrete crushing facility being proposed just east of the town of Santa Margarita between the Salinas River Bridge and Parkhill Rd. (PM 5.1) on Hwy 58. The Oster/Las Pilitas Quarry (DRC 2009-00025), locally known also as the Hwy. 58 Quarry, is being proposed in an unsuitable location, making it simply THE WRONG PROJECT in the WRONG LOCATION. We currently have several large scale quarries nearby that are much better sited with regards to their surroundings, and that have many decades of resources available to fulflll projected future needs for aggregate. The Las Pilitas Resources proposal is poorly planned and poorly sited, threatening the future safety, livability, and character of Santa Margarita and the areas surrounding it by introducing entirely new impacts not currently associated with mining. The proposed location does not fit with the surrounding density and current land uses, and would utilize a haul route that would funnel 273 gravel trucks through residential areas daily. According to the Environmental Impact Report, up to 800 truck trips per day may be anticipated for "emergencies" that remain undefined. We question whether the benefits of a large scale third quarry in the area outweigh the impacts to public safety it would impose, and whether an entire community should submit to the unnecessary industrialization of our rural character for the benefit of only a few.
On the pages dedicated to the Oster/Las Pilitas Hard Rock Quarry proposed by Las Pilitas Resources, LLC, we examine this specific project, providing in depth answers to many of the questions being asked by community members as awareness of this proposal increases. Our objective is to harness the POWER a well informed community brings to participation in the process. We encourage all residents to become aware of the details of this project and the land use entitlement process.
CURRENT STATUS OF APPLICATION FOR CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT and Reclamation Plan by Las Pilitas Resources, LLC
PLANNING COMMISSION HEARING
TO APPROVE OR DENY
The Hearing started on Thursday DECEMBER 11, 2014 9:00AM
CONTINUES ON JANUARY 8, 2015
B.O.S. Chambers - San Luis Obispo County Government Center - SLO
Condensed summary of Dec. 11 Hearing on our Updates Page
SLO County Planning and Building Staff Report
SLO NewTimes article on Hearing
The Department of Planning and Building's Staff Report recommends the Planning Commission take the following action:
1. Deny the application for a Conditional Use Permit and Reclamation Plan; and
2. Adopt the Findings included in Exhibit A.
The Staff Report, Correspondence Received, etc. are found under Agenda Item 2 (Oster/Las Pilitas Quarry application for Conditonal Use Permit (DRC2009-00025) Link Planning Commission Agenda
The "recommendation" for DENIAL does NOT diminish the need to attend the hearing. Your participation is critical to making sure that the Planning Commission does the right thing for the future of Santa Margarita.
- Write the Planning Commission prior to the Hearing with your concerns. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend the meeting and urge the Planning Commission to support staff's recommendation to DENY the project.
- Attend the meeting even if you do not plan to speak. Your presence is important.
- Hearing is in the Board of Supervisors Chambers, County Government Center, San Luis Obispo, Ca. (corner of Santa Rosa and Monterey).
- The Planning Commission meeting starts at 9:00 AM. Agenda Item 2 (Oster/Las Pilitas Quarry Hearing) is targeted to start no later than 10 AM. The remainder of the day is likely to be devoted to this agenda item.
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”